Saturday, September 19, 2009

"All Sites" scope not available in the site collection

Today I was experimenting with the Enterprise Search feature in MOSS. Doing the practical was long due.

So the first thing I noticed on my test site was that the 'All Sites' scope was not available in the Search scopes in my site collection. 'All Sites' and 'People' are the two default scopes added by SharePoint when we enable the Search service.


So I was wondering why it didn't show up in the search scope dropdown


The reason and solution is explained very nicely by Brijesh here
Steps 8 and 9 (enable publishing features) were not required though when I tried it.

Point To Remember: When creating a top-level site in any site collection, use a site template under Publishing templates group. This has two benefits:
  1. The default search scopes will be available by default.
  2. The dropdown for top-link bar will be easier to setup and control (How to enable drop down menus for top-link bar?)
  3. I'll update this list as I find more advantages

No comments:

Post a Comment